ECRMC Surgery Services in Imperial Valley
Speak with El Centro Regional Medical Center Today
El Centro Regional Medical Center recently expanded its facility to now
include five surgical suites, one post-anesthesia care unit, nine preoperative
holding beds, and seven-bed recovery lounges. ECRMC performs scheduled
surgery for patients who need it every day of the week and has doctors
and support staff ready for emergency surgeries 24 hours a day, seven
days a week. The hospital also performs various outpatient procedures,
some of which are performed with the revolutionary da Vinci® Si™
HD robotic surgery system.
Preparing for Outpatient Surgery
Are you scheduled for outpatient surgery at El Centro Regional Medical
Center? The first step is to pre-register with the hospital. You can do
this by a) completing registration with an admitting representative over
the phone or in person at the hospital and b) completing a preoperative
visit with a surgery department nurse.
You will likely receive a call from the hospital about preregistration.
If you do not, call the admitting department 760.339.7100 between 10:30
am and 7:30 pm. If you have questions about your upcoming procedure, call
760.339.7260 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
If you do not pre-register, you will be asked to register with the hospital
at the date of your preoperative interview. When you arrive at the hospital,
tell the information desk that you have arrived at check-in for outpatient surgery.
ECRMC asks that outpatient surgery patients bring the following with them:
- Information packet (this will be provided to you by your physician)
- Advanced directive questionnaire
- Any medications you are currently taking
- Insurance card (or any other needed insurance information)
- Any other papers that have been provided to you by your physician
- Reading glasses (if needed)
Some elective surgeries (surgeries patients choose to have) may require
pre-authorization from an insurance provider. Your physician will often
contact the provider once the patient chooses surgery—however, in
the unlikely event that coverage is denied, the surgery will be canceled
and you will be notified by the hospital.
Before for Your Outpatient Surgery
- Do not eat or drink after midnight the night before your surgery. A light
dinner is recommended that evening.
- Do not smoke or drink alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours before
- Speak with your doctor about any of your prescribed medications and whether
or not they can be taken the day(s) before and of your surgery. If you
can, take your medication with small sips of water.
- If you begin to feel ill before your surgery (cold symptoms, flu, etc.)
alert your physician as your surgery may need to be rescheduled.
The Day of Surgery
ECRMC recommends that patients call the Outpatient Center at 760.339.7260
the day before their surgery to verify the date and time of your procedure.
Remember also to plan to be at the Outpatient Center for a while—even
up to four hours more than needed in the actual operating room. There
is an Outpatient Surgery Department parking lot in front of the main entrance
of the hospital, just across from the handicapped parking area.
Things to remember the day of your surgery:
- Bathe or shower the day of your surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing to arrive in/leave with.
- You may bring a robe or slippers for comfort.
- Valuables should be left at home.
- Refrain from wearing makeup, nail polish, or false lashes.
- If you wear dentures or contact lenses, tell a nurse.
Doctors will consult with family members or other accompanying individuals
following your surgery to update them on your status. Visitors are not
allowed in the recovery room, but anyone accompanying outpatient surgery
patients will receive frequent updates on their status.
After Your Surgery
El Centro Regional Medical Center prepares all patients with what to expect
after their surgery. If you have specific questions or concerns about
what to expect after your outpatient surgery, ask your physician or the
admittance nurse during your preoperative interview. Call 760.339.7260
between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm with any additional questions.
- A nurse will explain any special instructions you need before going home.
It is critical to your recovery that you follow these instructions—and
any instructions provided by your doctor.
- Eat lightly if you can. Refrain from alcoholic beverages the day of and
- Don't take any medications that have been prescribed or approved by
your doctor the day of surgery (and, if necessary, the days that follow).
- Do not drive or operate heavy machinery the day of your surgery. Be sure
that you have a trusted loved one ready to drive you home when your surgery
- Also, make sure that someone is around you for 12-24 hours following your
surgery in case of dizziness or other side-effects. Patients should be
prepared to rest the day of their surgery and the day after.
- If you have questions about your recovery or your doctor's instructions,
PLEASE ASK YOUR NURSE OR DOCTOR. El Centro Regional Medical Center wants
patients to feel informed and confident about their recovery—no
question is too small for the staff to answer.
If you are a parent with a child scheduled for surgery at El Centro Regional
Medical Center, you likely have questions about what you can do to make
this process as comfortable as possible for your child and family. ECRMC
regularly partners with families who have children preparing for surgery
and provides the following policies and tips to ensure the swiftest possible recovery:
- The day of surgery, bring a favorite toy, blanket, or book for the child.
- Bring juice or any approved formula for the child after the surgery.
- It is required that a parent or guardian stay at the hospital during the
duration of the procedure.
- It is recommended that two loved ones accompany the child home. This way,
if the child becomes nauseous in the car, one adult can attend to the
child while the other one drives.
- Any other special instructions for preparing for surgery and the recovery
time will be given to the family by the physician. These instructions
should be followed closely.