When a patient requires further medical care and monitoring after a medical emergency or surgery, a care room is assigned to continue medical treatment. Here the patient will be administered medicines and be cared for by an experienced and dedicated nurse while working closely with a physician. ECRMC has an inpatient mission that focuses on returning patients to their homes and/or duty as soon as possible, while respecting the dignity and safety of our patients.
Three dedicated wards make up the medical surgical department, housing 110 beds. The first floor contains one of the wards located on the North side of the hospital while the other two can be found upstairs. The medical surgical unit has both private and semi-private rooms. All three wards are staffed by highly skilled and trained hospitalists, nurses, nurse assistants and unit clerks. They work in collaboration with the physicians, surgeons and other healthcare team members to provide safe, quality care for our patients 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Furthering the commitment to provide superior quality inpatient care, ECRMC developed a Hospitalist program. A Hospitalist is an inpatient focused physician staffing the medical surgical department around the clock. Hospitalists care and treat patients that have been hospitalized. They spend most of their time in the hospital and ensure a physician is available if any medical situation arises.
What about my primary care physician?
Your primary care physician plays an important role in your medical care during your stay. The hospitalist works closely with your physician and assures they are aware of your ongoing care. The care the patient receives is also direction and recommendation from your doctor.
GUIDELINE FOR VISITORS
ECRMC’s medical surgical department is located:
- North Wing – First floor, located on the North side of the hospital, easily accessible from the North lobby entrance.
- East Wing – Second floor, located on the South side of the hospital, easily accessible from the main entrance.
- West Wing – Second floor, located next to East wing on the South side of the hospital
- Visitor parking is available on all four sides of the hospital. Covered parking is available on the southeast and the northwest side of the hospital. There is also additional parking behind the medical plaza building located behind the hospital off of Ross Avenue.
- Please limit the amount of personal items you bring your loved one. Not only is space limited, but also reduces the risk of misplacement. We also highly suggest that you not bring any item that would require electricity to function.
- All patients are on restricted diets. Please verify with the nurse before you bring any patient outside food or drinks.
- Only two visitors at a time are allowed inside a patient room. Like your loved one, there are other patients in the unit that also require rest. Please keep all noise levels to a minimum.
- Any visitor under the age of 16 is not permitted. Only in extreme circumstances will a child be allowed to enter a patient room and may not be left unattended.
- Smoking is not allowed anywhere inside the hospital. ECRMC has a few designated smoking areas outside.
A large waiting area for family members, friends and children is available in the west wing on the second floor. This area is open 24 hours a day.
General visiting hours are from 12:00 pm - 8:00 pm. To protect patient and staff safety, all visitors must check in with security personnel and wear a badge while in the clinical areas. To protect the patient from further infection, visitors should be free from infectious disease. Only under extreme circumstances are children allowed to enter any clinical areas.