As part of ECRMC’s expansion, a state of the art surgery department was built to provide extensive surgical services to the Imperial Valley community. Scheduled surgeries are performed on a daily basis in the outpatient surgery center and non-scheduled urgent and emergency surgeries are performed when necessary 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
ECRMC’s surgery department includes five surgical suites, two dedicated minor procedure (endoscopy) rooms, seven – bed anesthesia care units, six bed recovery lounges and nine preoperative holding beds.
MINIMALLY INVASIVE SURGERY
The newest technology in minimally invasive surgery is available now at ECRMC. With the help of the da Vinci® Si™ HD surgery system, patients can now experience shorter hospital stays, quicker return to normal activity, elimination of potential complications and minimal scarring. This amazing robotic technology allows surgeons to access hard to reach areas through small incisions. Unlike open surgery, small robotic “arms” are controlled by a surgeon to assist in performing complex surgeries with more precision and control.
OUTPATIENT SURGERY CENTER
As an ECRMC surgery patient, you will receive excellent health care from a qualified and experienced team of professionals. During your stay, you will be cared for by our dedicated staff who prides themselves in providing individualized care to all of our patients.
Pre-Registration is a two step process:
- Complete registration process with an admitting representative via telephone or in person
- Complete preoperative visit with a surgery department nurse.
Failure to pre-register may result in additional waiting time. If you do not receive a call to schedule pre-registration please call 760.339.7251 between the hours of 10:30 am and 7:30 pm. For questions regarding your procedure, please call 760.339.7260 between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
REGISTRATION AND INSURANCE
It is our goal to make your registration at ECRMC as efficient and convenient as possible. In most cases, your registration will be handled in advance. A representative from the admitting department will contact you by telephone to obtain information necessary for the development of your healthcare record.
If you do not have a telephone or if you are not at home during the day, please contact the admitting department as soon as arrangements have been made by your physician.
The admitting department can be reached at 760.339.7251.
Please bring this information packet and any papers prepared by your physician to the outpatient surgery unit the day of your preoperative interview. When you arrive at the hospital, please tell the receptionist at the information desk that you are here to check-in for the outpatient surgery department.
Please bring the following items the day of your preoperative interview:
- Information packet (provided by your physician’s office)
- Any papers prepared by the physician
- Anesthesia questionnaire (included in packet) – please fill out before interview appointment
- Advanced directive questionnaire – please fill out before interview appointment
- Medications you are currently taking
- Insurance information, insurance cards
- Reading glasses - if needed
- Please plan to arrive early at the medical center before for your interview.
Pre-authorization from your insurance company may be required for many elective surgeries. Usually your physician will acquire a pre-authorization number from your insurance company and provide the number to us. If the pre-authorization number cannot be obtained, the surgery may be cancelled by ECRMC. Your physician will notify you in this unlikely event.
DAY OF SURGERY – WHEN SHOULD I ARRIVE?
- You should call the Outpatient Center at 760.339.7260 the day before your surgery at 4:00 pm to verify the time to arrive on the day of surgery. It is important to be on time.
- Plan for you hospital stay to be approximately 1-4 hours more than actual operating room time, unless you will be admitted to ECRMC the day of surgery
- You will be able to park in the Outpatient Surgery Department parking lot located just right of the front of the entrance, and immediately across from the Handicapped parking area.
WHO WILL CONSULT MY FAMILY AFTER SURGERY?
After surgery, the Physician will visit with family or accompanying individual(s) and answer any questions. We understand the importance of easing anxiety, not only for the patient but their support system as well.
WILL MY FAMILY BE ALLOWED TO VISIT ME IMMEDIATELY AFTER MY PROCEDURE?
Unfortunately due to patient safety and privacy, we do not allow visitors inside the recovery room. We do happily provide periodic updates on the patient’s condition to family members in the waiting room.
- Special instructions for children needing surgery
- Bring a favorite toy, book or blanket for your child
- Special instructions will be given to you by your physician regarding formula and dietary intake before surgery for your child.
- Bring juice and formula for infants for use after surgery.
- Parents of a child must be available to accompany patient to the surgery holding area to provide emotional comfort and support for the child.
- We require a parent or guardian to remain at the medical center in case there are questions or the child has any special needs.
- We suggest that two family members accompany the child home. On occasion, the child may feel nauseated while riding home in the car. This provides one person to drive the car and the other to assist with any needs of the child.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE AND AFTER SURGERY
- Do not eat or drink after midnight on the day of your surgery. A light meal is recommended on the evening before your surgery. Avoid smoking and drinking alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to surgery.
- Please check with your physician prior to surgery about taking your prescribed medications. If your doctor advises you to take your medications at the regular times on the day of surgery, please do so with only a small sip of water.
- If your child is having an operation, you must be available at the hospital.
- If there are any changes in your condition between now and the time of your surgery, please contact your physician. (for example a cold, runny nose, fever, cough, etc.)
- Your nurse will explain any special instructions prior to leaving the medical center
- Be sure to ask your nurse if you have any questions or don’t understand any instructions or information
- Be sure there is a responsible adult to drive you home upon discharge from the hospital, and remain with you for 24 hour period.
- When you return home, be sure to follow you physician’s orders.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages on the day of surgery. Eat lightly until you are certain that there is no nausea or vomiting, or follow your physician’s instructions about eating.
- Do not take any medications or drugs that have not been prescribed by your physician.
- Do not drive or operate (dangerous) machinery on the day of surgery.
- Be certain someone or something is nearby to support you when first standing or walking in case of dizziness. You should rest and take it easy for 12-24 hours.
- Schedule a follow-up visit with your physician.
- If you need further information, feel free to call the ECRMC Outpatient Surgery Center at 760.339.7260 Monday through Friday from 7:00 am – 5:00 pm
- Shower or bathe before coming to the hospital
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing
- Bring a pair of slippers and a robe
- Do not wear make-up, false eyelashes, or nail polish
- Notify your nurse regarding dentures or contact lenses
- Leave all valuable and jewelry at home. (Including: purses, wallets, cell phones, etc.)
- Bring your contact Lens container or eyeglass case should you wear either.
The Surgery Department is available 7:00 am through 8:30 pm, Monday through Friday
Endoscopy Services are available 7:00 am through 5:30 pm, Monday through Friday