Open Accessibility Menu
Hide

Frequently Asked Questions

If your question was not featured below, please contact your local location for more information.

Volunteering at ECRMC

Do I need to have certain qualifications if I want to be a volunteer?

We ask that volunteers are able to speak fluent English and comply with ECRMC policies and other necessary requirements. Being bilingual is always an advantage, but is not required. Junior Volunteer applicants must have and maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better and must submit most recent report card with the application.

Are there any health requirements for volunteering?

Yes. You will be required to complete a blood screening to test for tuberculosis, which will be free of charge. If you test positive for TB, you will be responsible to obtain and pay for chest X-rays if you wish to continue with the volunteer onboarding process. You will also be required to obtain an annual influenza vaccination. In addition, vounteers will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.

How long does the application process take? Can I start right away?

The entire application and onboarding process typically takes 3 - 6 weeks to complete. We highly encourage applicants to complete all clearance requirements as soon as possible.

Do you have volunteer opportunities just for the summer?

Unfortunately, we are not able to provide short-term volunteer opportunities during the summer. The minimum commitment for volunteers at ECRMC is 6 months.

Where are volunteers placed?

Volunteers tend to be placed in patient areas, non-patient areas, areas of clerical work, departments with public contact and/or outreach, and greeter desks. Volunteers seeking to be part of the Music for Healing, Pet Therapy, and Chaplain programs must contact the Volunteer Services Coordinator at Volunteer.Services@ecrmc.org before applying to volunteer.

What are the volunteer schedules?
  • Junior Volunteer schedules are Monday - Friday from 4:00 - 8:00 pm and Saturday and Sunday 8:00 am - 12:00, 12:00 - 4:00 pm and 4:00 - 8:00 pm. 15-year-old volunteers are required to end their shift at 7:00 pm on a school night.
  • Adult Volunteer schedules are Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 12:00 and 12:00 - 4:00pm. You must be available during daytime hours during the week, as the evenings and weekends are reserved for the Junior Volunteers.
Can I shadow physicians or other care providers as a volunteer?

Job shadowing is not part of the Volunteer Services Program. Contact the ECRMC Education Department at 760-370-8521 for Job Shadowing opportunities.

I am a certified Medical Assistant. Can I volunteer as an M.A.?

Volunteers cannot perform any type of clinical tasks and direct patient care, regardless of any licensure you may have, except for our supervised Career Path Program volunteers.

Do volunteers wear uniforms?

Volunteers are required to wear a designated uniform top (type depends on program) and scrub bottoms. The uniform top will be provided by the hospital, but you must provide your own bottoms.

Is volunteering a good way to get a job with ECRMC?

Although volunteerism is a great way to gain experience and learn the culture of ECRMC, it does not guarantee being offered employment at ECRMC.